Best AC Buying Guide – Points you must know before buying Air Conditioner for Home or Office.
In many parts of the world, air conditioning has rather become a necessity than a luxury. Global warming and rapid increase in population leading dense human inhabitations have made the need for air conditioning a must.
If you’re thinking to buy an air conditioner, whether you’re new to air conditioners or you’ve bought one before, this article is for you! Let us see all of what we need to know before spending our sums.
Air Conditioner is a heavy electricity consuming appliance, your electricity bills could significantly blow up. Hence, while buying, utmost care should be taken. Please note that one an air conditioner will go on for at least next 10 years once bought, and thus, it is vital to make a well-informed decision.
There are various factors we need to consider before buying an Air Conditioner.
- Your usage patterns.
- how many hours a day are you going to use the Air conditioner.
- Will you use it through the year or during specific periods only (say summer)?
- How many people will be in the room when AC is normally used?
- The type of room you will cool with it.
- What is the area of the room to be cooled?
- How high is the ceiling?
- Does the ceiling receive direct sunlight?
- How many windows face west?
- How many walls of the room receive direct sunlight?
- How many things are kept in the room? (Everything in the room needs you be cooled, some large things like a filled wooden cupboard may increaszeefect).
- Environmental Factors.
- What is the ambient temperature outside?
- What is the humidity level in your area?
- Is the air corrosive (polluted, Saline)
It is important the air conditioner is of the right size, this means the tonnage of your air conditioner, and it’ll significantly impact your electricity bills. Let’s see the points to consider while determining the tonnage.
Area To Cover
- The size of the room – This determines the amount of air in the room that are required to be cooled.
- A number of people in the room – Every human being emits heat and the air conditioner has to cool it.
- The amount of stuff kept in the room – Please note all items kept in the room will get cooled from the air conditioner, so the less the stuff, lesser the electric air conditioner will consume.
- The electrical appliances in the room – Almost all the electrical appliances emit heat, especially lights (Incandescent light bulbs usually increase cooling load).
- Windows in the room – Well-insulated windows reduce cooling loads. More the windows, more is the heat coming from outside.
- Walls facing the sun – This also increases the cooling load.
After deciding the size comes the efficiency, the efficiency of an air conditioner is commonly termed as the EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio)
EER = Amount of energy removed (Btu/hr) / Power Consumed (W)
All air conditioners have a cooling capacity that is represented in BTU/hr. It is the BTUs of heat which it can remove in an hour.
If so the heat coming into the room (in BTUs) is more than heat that the air conditioner can remove, in such a case, the air conditioner will not be as effective. Thus an undersized air conditioner won’t be able to remove heat effectively and the compressor of the air conditioner will continue to run all the time, hence consuming more electricity.
Alas, the more the amount of heat removed per hour per unit of power consumed, the more is the efficiency of the air conditioner. Also, the higher the EER, the better is the air conditioner.
When we go to buy a new air conditioner, there’s a label on it. This is the most important factor apart from its pricing that determines the selection of an air conditioner. Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) has mandated every air conditioner to have described via this label.
Higher numbers of stars are given for greater efficiency or EER.
With EER as base values, BEE (Bureau of Energy Efficiency) has formulated their star rating table.
Every air conditioner is manufactured to run at optimum efficiency, but that’s only if it is used as per the right size. Size does matter a lot, you see.
Regular V/S AC Inverter
- Regular air conditioners:
- The compressor is either on or off. When the compressor is on, it works at full capacity and consumes the maximum electricity it is designed to consume. When the thermostat on the air conditioner reaches the temperature level set, the compressor stops and only the fan continue to operate. Again, when the thermostat senses that the temperature has risen, the compressor starts again.
- In an Air Conditioner with Inverter Technology:
- The inverter technology acts like an accelerator in your car. Whenever the compressor needs more power, it gives out more power. When less power is required, it gives less power. With the use of this technology, the compressor is always on, but still, draws less power or more power depending on the temperature of the incoming air and the level that is set on the thermostat. The speed and power of the compressor are hence adjusted appropriately. This technology was developed in Japan and is being used since successfully for air conditioners and for refrigeration purposes. This technology is currently available only in split air conditioners.
Now Let’s Get To Simpler Terms, Let Us See In Detail What And How To Check:
- Capacity: Calculate required capacity for room size, wall height, maximum temperature of locality, wall type and insulation, glazing area and the type (single or double), the amount outside air infiltrates in this space, internal heat from light, other equipment, burner etc., number of people in the room and possibly cooling loss to other rooms.
- Make the first selection of unit from the available range.
- Locate position for indoor and outdoor units such that vertical and then the horizontal distance between them is minimized.
- Ensure unit is having the best star rating (at least 3).
- Check the manufacturers’ reputation, for life of the unit.
- Check the sound rating of indoor unit to compare with other manufacturers.
- Check and compare the type of filter for its features, clean-ability, and life.
- Check pipe connection side and condensate drain pipe location to match with site convenience.
- Check warranty available for the unit in general and compressor in particular (at least one year for first and multiple years for the second).
- Check procedure, logistics and infrastructure of supplier fulfill warranty provision.
- Check the supplier’s facility (reputation) for installation.
- Deduct the actual capacity of the selected unit from its nominal (name plate) capacity, required room temperature, and maximum temperature of the place, the copper pipe length and the height of outdoor unit with respect to the indoor unit.
- Confirm selection of the unit ensuring actual capacity is equal or little more than required capacity.
- Check and ensure stabilized electrical supply is available. Or make provision for the same.
- Ensure installation of your air conditioner is done by a professional installer and performance testing is done before you take over. Ensure that the installer is verifying leak tightness of copper piping.
Since the standard AC split all we need to ensure is the ductwork is sized large enough to accommodate it and the fan speed is quick enough to meet the coils demand.
It’s time now that we understand the types of air conditioners.
Types Of Air Conditioners
Different types of air conditioners are required for different applications. There are a huge number of factors that shall affect our choice for the best optimization of the product and money spent. This includes the area that’s required to be cooled, net heat generation within the enclosed area and so on. Let’s get to them one at a time.
Window Air Conditioner
This is perhaps the most commonly used air conditioner for single rooms. All the components of this air conditioner are enclosed in a single box. It is easy to fit and the unit is fixed into a slot made in a room wall, or rather, a window sill.
Split Air Conditioner
A split air conditioner has an outdoor unit and one indoor unit. The outdoor unit, that contains components like the condenser, expansion valve, compressor, is placed outside the room, houses. The indoor unit comprises of an evaporator and a cooling fan. This unit does not require the making of any slot into the wall of the room. In addition to these, newer technology of split units does not take up as much space as a window unit as they have aesthetic appeal. One or two rooms could be cooled by a split air conditioner simultaneously.
Packaged Air Conditioner
If you want to cool multiple rooms at once or if the target area is quite large, this is your best buy. There are two possible arrangements with the package unit. All the components are contained in a single unit. The condenser could be air cooled or water cooled as per the convenience of the buyer. High capacity blowers are used to throw air into the ducts that are laid through passing by various rooms. Incase of the second arrangement, the compressor and condenser are boxed into a single casing. Located in various rooms, the compressed gas goes through unique units that are particularly assigned. This comprises of the expansion valve and a cooling coil.
- Packed air conditioners are of two types based on their type of condensing agent.Water Cooled: The condenser in this comprises a shell and a tube type. Refrigeration flows alongside the tube and the water flows along the side of the shell for cooling. Water is required for a continuous supply of these systems for the proper functioning of the air conditioning system.
Parts of the condenser, the shell and tube type, are compact in shape and are boxed into a single unit along with the compressor and expansion valve. The air handling unit used in this includes the cooling coil or the evaporator. The whole packaged air conditioning unit looks like a box from external view and could be controlled by the control panel located on it.
- Air Cooled: In this, atmospheric air is used to condense the refrigeration system. It also contains an outdoor unit which is comprised of the most important components like the compressor and the condenser.
In some cases, it also contains the expansion valve. The outdoor unit was kept at a place with free flow of the atmospheric air such a terrace or some other open place.
A fan placed within the casing that sucks the atmospheric air, which is blown over the condenser for cooling the coil. A lot many turns of the copper tubing makes up the condenser coil which is externally finned. It is usually not easy to maintain a continuous flow of the water, hence the packaged ACs that has air cooled condensers are preferred over than the ones with water cooled condensers. Also, since air is available for free. The cooling unit ducts are connected to the various rooms that are required to be cooled, which comprises of the evaporator, expansion valve, the air handling blower, and the filter are either located on the floor or hanged on the ceiling.
Central Air Conditioning System
These are to serve the purpose of cooling big buildings, entire hotels, large houses, movie theaters, factories; any place with a huge area to be covered at once. Placing individual units in every room in the case where the entire building is to be cooled becomes very expensive, this makes the central air conditioning system a much better option than all the rest. This type of conditioning system contains a huge compressor that has the capacity to produce hundreds of tons of air conditioning at once. Cooling of huge areas as such malls, galleries etc. are feasible only with central conditioning systems.
Why To Buy An Air Conditioner
Now before going further ahead, let’s understand we really need an air conditioner.
Air conditioning was considered a luxury not so long ago, a privileged for a few; now, it has become a mandatory norm in many offices and even so public transportation. So whether we accept it or not, it’s an integral part of our life today.
Let us understand why it has become so popular, and at many places, compulsory.
- Extreme heat clearly has a negative impact on our physical functioning and intellect.Using of air conditioners rectifies this issue to the very maximum.
- Great comfort levels while at work and leisure at home.
- It improves the productivity of people.
- In most cases, it helps to increase physical activity and helps to maintain a sound state of mind.
- Low temperatures have proved to reduce the presence of parasites and insects.
- It reduces the risk of dehydration as lower temperatures lead to produce less sweat in humans.
- A clean and controlled air conditioning system eradicates external allergens such as that of pollens.
- It renews and improves air quality if the installation is done well enough and if it is well maintained thereafter.
Best Buy Air Conditioner
A major component of the electricity bill is contributed by the air conditioners in every household using it. A like most, if high electricity bills due to air conditioners worry you, then buying energy efficient air conditioner would make much more sense to you.
There are multiple types and brands of air conditioners available in the market today. Being informed about the best product listings before making a decision of buying an air conditioner is the need of this hour. There are many sources on the internet that provide details about the detail and functionality of systems, but the power consumption is hardly a matter of concern. We, at Digital Web InfoTech Sales, want to ensure that people make electricity consumption as deciding factor, for the personal saving of the consumer, as well as, for our environmental concerns.
A normal Window AC or split AC will throw air up to 15 feet and this is enough for our climate changes. Some special Split units are available to throw air up to 30 feet. It is recommended to use a Voltage Stabilizer along with the AC works between 190 to 240 V. Ensure that the AC air from the air conditioner does not hit you directly.
Let’s Have A Look On The Leading Brands That Sell Their Best Products In India:
Voltas Air Conditioner
Voltas is the most favorite for an air conditioner brand of the Indian people. Voltas is governed by our very own Tata Group. The products are manufactured by Voltas Limited, which is a subsidiary of the Tata Group, with headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The air conditioners of Voltas are famous for their high performance and durability. Voltas’s All Weather Smart air conditioners are perhaps the most popular in India today. The popularity of Voltas has touched foreign soils as well. The price range of Voltas varies from Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 55,000. Few of the most popular Voltas AC models are enlisted below:
- Voltas All Weather AC.
- Voltas Zenith- 5 Star (Ya Series).
- Voltas Classic- 5 Star (Yu Series).
- Voltas Magna- 5 Star (Y Series).
- Voltas Jade- 5 Star (Y Series).
Samsung Air Conditioner
Samsung is a private South Korean conglomerate and an everyday name in India. The ACs of Samsung are among the most sought after and are very popular in India. Samsung ACs are famous for the level of comfort they offer and high-class features. The prices, range of Samsung from Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 70,000. Few of the popular Samsung AC models are listed below:
- Triangle Inverter AC.
- AR18JV5DAWKNNA 1.5 TR.
Daikin Air Conditioner
Daikin is a Japanese major company, operating for almost a century now. This showcases the large volumes of Daikin’s success in the world market. Daikin’s popularity has increased exponentially ever since its initiation in India.
The global brand owes its popularity to its high-quality products and also to the affordable rates. The prices, range of Daikin ACs from Rs. 18,000 to Rs. 50,000. Few of the widely sold AC models from Daikin are listed below:
- FTXR Series.
- DTKM Series.
- ATKM Series.
- FTXG Series
LG Air Conditioner
South Korean, I tell you, these people have made their name into varies fields of technology, globally. LG is one brand that has great command in the Indian consumer market. LG’s air conditioners are appreciated for quality. LG stands for Life’s Good, so does its product’s affect our lives in the same way. Apart from that, great performance, customer services, affordable price and smart cooling features are just a few things that LG boasts of. The price range of LG air conditioners varies from Rs. 18,000 to 78,000. Few of the most popular AC models from LG are listed below:
Whirlpool Air Conditioner
Whirlpool is one of the most prominent multinational manufacturers of home appliances, based in Michigan, United States. Whirlpool started its Indian operations in 1987 and has grown ever since to be one of the most favorite brands of home appliances. Whirlpool’s air conditioners deliver high performance that relies on the turbo cooling technology. The price range of Whirlpool ACs from Rs. 32,000 to Rs. 55,000. The most popular Whirlpool AC models are listed below:
- FANTASIA INV (1.5 T).
- 3D COOL PLT V (1.5 T) 5 Star.
- 3D COOL DLX III (2 T) 3 Star.
- MAGICOOL DLX III (1.5 T) 3 Star.
- FANTASIA INV (1 T).
Videocon Air Conditioner
India folks, here it comes. Videocon is an Indian multinational, a major manufacturer of consumer electronics and one of our household names. Founded in the seventies, 1979, and is headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Videocon not only famous for making excellent air conditioners but also, is one amongst the best in the most of the appliance industries in terms of TVs, microwave, refrigerators ovens and so on. The prices of Videocon ACs range from Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 68,000. Few of the best Videocon AC models are listed below:
Blue Star Air Conditioner
Blue Star is one of the oldest and most trusted consumer electronics company based in India, it was founded in 1943. The company began with air conditioners and reconditioning refrigerators. The company boasts of having effectively catered to the cooling needs of a large number of commercial, corporate as well as residential customers by providing best air-conditioning services. The prices of Blue Star ACs start from Rs. 22,000 and goes up to Rs. 1, 00,000. Few of the most popular Blue Star AC models are listed below:
- 5HW12SC 1 Ton Split AC.
- 5HW18SB 1.5 Ton Split AC.
- CNHW09CAF 0.75 Ton Split AC.
- 3HW12FC 1 Ton Split AC.
Hitachi Air Conditioner
Hitachi, inspiring lives, that’s what they say. And, it is for true. Hitachi is a popular Japanese consumer electronics conglomerate founded in 1920 and based in Tokyo, Japan. It offers few of the best energy efficient air conditioners. Hitachi thrives on quality air conditioners. Its ACs has features like auto climate technology and anti-bacterial koukin filter. The price range of Hitachi ACs starts from Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 70,000. Few of the widely sold Hitachi models are listed below:
- Kashikoi 400i.
- Kashikoi 200i.
- Zunoh 300f.
- Zunoh 200f.
- Summer TM.
- Kaze Neo.
- KAZE Reidan (H & C).
Amigos, it’s all about bringing the right product to yours, don’t miss out on a single detail! Go ahead, buy an Air Conditioner!